God and success. GOD. SUCCESS. These two words are often linked together by churches, books, ministries, and spiritual gurus.We are not a church. This ain't (yes, I said it) a book. We are a ministry in our own unique way. And please don't consider us spiritual gurus.
But.....we shall tackle the question of God and success.
There are several different views within the realm of Christianity on God and success......
1. Success is only money-related: Some within the Church view success only as a financial thing. If you make big bucks--then you are successful. If you are the biggest giver at church, then you are successful (and Jesus likes you MORE). Now, I am not advocating that money is evil. And I am also not going to say that people whom have money are evil. However, there are some people within the world of Christianity that believe that if you money, then that is it--you are a success (in their eyes)
.2. Success is related to your acts of service: Others within the Church view success as how much you "do" for God. The more time you spend at church, the better. Oh, and if you are at Church and "doing ministry"--then you are clearly making a difference. When I worked in the local church, it was often a common thing to hear pastors comparing how many hours they worked. Just because we are putting in time somewhere does not mean that we are being EFFICIENT with ALL of our time. So whether you are working in the Church or volunteering.........ask yourself.......should I be in this ministry? Should I be involved in less ministries but give more of myself in the ministries that I serve in?
3. Success is being in God's will: Success is knowing who you are in Jesus. Success is knowing that you are doing what is right for you; even when others think you are crazy. Success is being set free. Success is serving out of freedom and not obligation. Success is knowing that your MONEY, ACTS OF SERVICE, and TIME are not yours....but are God's. Success is allowing Jesus to guide you in HOW YOU SPEND your money, how you serve, and how you spend your time.
Now, here are a few more things to think about. If we are smart with our money, we could bless people financially. We could help others that need it. If we are diligent with where and how we spend our time in service, we will make a greater impact on others for the Kingdom. Who wants to waste their money? Who wants to waste their time?
The Devil loves busyness. He loves to see people going through the motions.The Devil loves to see people that are doing things "just because".God is concerned with the HEART. Success comes from within. Anyone can look successful. But being a success and finding the sweet spot that God has for YOU--that is another story! Get to know the YOU that God loves: talents, experiences, struggles, dreams.
SUCCESS CAN ALSO BE DEFINED BY WHAT YOU HAVE OVERCOME....AND WHERE YOU ARE HEADED!
A few questions:
1. Define success. What does that look like for YOU? Debt free? Doing more things you enjoy? Being able to bless those around you in different ways?
2. Pray. You can't know God's will without talking to him.
3. Share. Whom do you really trust? Talk to someone close about what you think success looks like. Track your progress in a journal or calendar.